Quality of Life at the End of life in long term Care Facilities
June 21, 2012
- End of Life in Long Term Care Facilities in Europe, Prof. Dr.Vjenka Garms-Homolová, ASH und IGF e.V, Berlin
- Medicine Facing End of life, Mayer Brezis, MD MPH, Professor of Medicine & Adir Shaulov, MD Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center
- Open discussion facilitated by the directors of the Minerva Center of End of Life, Prof. Jiska Cohen-Mansfield, Prof. Haim Hazan, Prof. Shai Lavi, Dr. Shai Brill
The conference was attended by 130 participants, including physicians, nurses, lawyers, Social workers, and other care givers. The lectures were followed by a heated discussion.
Defining stages of end of life
December, 10 2012
Part 1: Delineating end of life as a life stage
- Defining trajectories at the end of life based on different population healthcare needs, Sydney M. Dy, PhD, Departments of Health Policy and Management, Oncology, and Medicine, Johns Hopkins University
- Cognitive and motor terminal decline, Aron S. Buchman, MD, Department of Neurological Sciences at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago
- When we Die: History’s many verdicts, Thomas R. Cole, Ph.D., founding Director of the McGovern Center for Humanities and Ethics at The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
Part 2: Topics in end of life care
- End-of-Life communication for patients with life- limiting illnesses, Lynn F. Reinke, PhD, ARNP, School of Nursing, Medicine and Public health, University of Washington
- Processes of self-regulation in dying human - potentials and limits from the personal and the professional point of view, Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Andreas Kruse, Institut für Gerontologie, Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg, Germany
- From fate to control? The ethical and social implications of long-term planing of one's end of life, Prof. Dr. Silke Schicktanz, Sociology/Bioethics, the Department of Medical Ethics and History of Medicine at the University Medical Center GÖttingen, Germany
Ein Gedi Workshop
- How do we determine the beginning of end of life stage?
- What are the implications of determining end of life as a discernible life stage?
- How do the trajectories matter ?
- Trajectories – the certainties vs. the uncertainties
- Dementia vs. non-dementia end of life
- Cultural issues
- Quality of end of life
- Is it a contradiction in terms?
- What is under control? Whose control?
- To whom does it matter? To whom should it matter